Opportunty Live Here: Mainstay Housing

Head Office
550 Queen Street East
Suite 150
Toronto, Ontario
Canada M5A 1V2

Tel: 416.703.9266
Fax: 416.703.9265
TTY: 416.703.9267


Charity Number:
119258440 RR0001


Mainstay tenant in window
Mainstay tenant in window Mainstay tenant in window Mainstay tenant in window
Mainstay tenant in window
Mainstay tenant in window

While all Mainstay Housing tenants must be capable of independent living, we do provide some supports through our Supportive Housing Worker [SHW] program. Supportive Housing Workers play multiple roles: they are both agents of the landlord, helping tenants meet their responsibilities and maintain their housing, and they provide support, meeting with tenants individually and in community meetings.

There is approximately one housing staff person for every 70 Mainstay households. They are available to help tenants through the events of day-to-day life. That might mean putting the tenant in touch with community services such as food banks or home maker services. They are often available to talk about personal problems or concerns in the buildings. They conduct the neighborhood meetings that help each building run more smoothly. Here is what Gord Singer, Mainstay tenant, has to say about the support program:

It's good to know there's someone there you can turn to, talk to, in case you have problems. Mainstay, however, is not involved in a medical/therapeutic role. If tenants want to link up with medical/therapeutic supports, they are free to do that. This is a real strength because when you have the landlord providing medical/therapeutic services, it is wearing more than one hat so there can be conflict in terms of housing. Mainstay works with agencies which link up with the tenants and provide more support when it's needed.

Here is a list of what Mainstay's support program can and cannot do for our tenants:

A Mainstay Housing Worker Can: A Mainstay Housing Worker Cannot:
  • Talk to you and provide some supportive counselling to help you figure out what longer term support you need
  • Refer you to a support service;
  • Tell you about the services in your neighborhood;
  • Talk to you about the support you need to live independently and help you contact the right people;
  • Help you find someone to help you budget your money;
  • Help you figure out how to talk to your neighbor or mediate a discussion between you if you are having a conflict with your neighbor;
  • Sympathize around your concerns and frustrations;
  • Help you identify problems and problem-solve with you.

  • Be your counselor or full time support person;
  • Contact these services for you without your participation;
  • Clean your apartment or do your shopping for you;
  • Tell you personal information about your neighbors or tell your neighbors personal information about you;
  • Agree with you when you call another tenant names;
  • Solve problems without your help.